Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Fiber One Bran Cereal

Dear Friends and Family,

One day back and work is already driving me crazy.

Our team is dysfunctional (understatement of the millennium) and it's tough to stay motivated when you don't have a lot of faith in the work being done. Also, I get a lot of my energy from being around people that are high energy and motivated and inclusive and that's not our team...

Sigh, I guess they call it work for a reason. If it was all fun and games they'd call it play and we wouldn't get paid for the jobs we do. Somehow, I don't think it's quite so simple. In my Dorothy-like naivete, I believe work should be something you enjoy. It should be something you're passionate about. I think it's time for a change.

I had "coffee" yesterday with a close girlfriend. She's so rock solid stable. I'm glad I have her as a friend. She helps me remember, I'm not dysfunctional. I am a very capable professional. I need to get myself out of a bad situation and not internalize it all. Then, I had wine with Trixie and got a chance to remember, it's not all in my control, but I need to be proactive about what is in my control. Two great friends to help with the two totally different sides of me - the logical and the emotional. I needed both yesterday.

On to food...

Fiber One Bran Cereal
In reading the Weight Watchers boards, there are a lot of posts about foods other people rant and rave about. Fiber One comes up ALL the time. 1/2 cup, 0 Weight Watchers points. Most of the time I ignore most of the food recommendations. Sugar free, fat free fake food isn't what I want to be filling my day with. Real food with real substance, please. A healthy lifestyle, not just lower body mass, please.

Still, I was always intrigued. And, when I had some time in Kauai, in the supermarket, I picked up a box to see what all the fuss is about. Just to clarify, I picked up a box to read the box. I put it back on the shelf (i.e. did not purchase it). Cereal is insanely expensive in Hawaii. They must import it individually, by the flake. So, I had the chance to read the box while Mr. mouse was checking out the poke.

Granted, Fiber One's got aspartame in it, which always raises a fake food flag. But, it has an unbelievable 14 grams of fiber in a single serving. Keep in mind, Raisin Bran is the yard stick I use and it has "only" eight grams per serving and it's 2 points for a serving. 57% of your daily fiber in a single 0 point serving is enough to pique my curiosity. So, when we got home, I purchased a box.

I tried it in my yogurt yesterday morning. And, have to confess, I like almonds more. But, it wasn't bad. It was okay. It filled me up and added crunch to my yogurt and both of those are the criteria I was looking for. So, why switch if the yogurt-almond thing is working for me? Well, in four pounds, I will need to drop 2 points from my daily intake. So, I need to look at different ways to make this work. This is a very viable alternative. I've got the whole box so I'll see if it's a food choice I adopt or if it becomes like Raisin Bran, a pantry hog that needs to be tossed. (The Raisin Bran is great, but after having a bowl of it with milk for 4 points, I'm still starving, so it's not a workable solution for me.)


Cheers!
mouse

No comments: