Thursday, September 14, 2006

Kauai Update, Part 4A - What I Learned

Dear Friends and Family,

This is going to take the longest since I learned a lot about myself while on vacation and each lesson deserves it's own string. I have a list so I'll keep adding until it runs out.

We used points to stay at the
Princeville in Kauai. Theoretically one of the best hotels on the island, it's part of Starwood's Luxury Collection hotels. We had stayed for a day on a prior visit, but I don't have any memory of the hotel from that visit besides thinking it was the best hotel ever. So, I was really excited about returning for a longer stay.

Princeville Resort Lobby
Now, I'm not sure if the resort has aged since our last trip or if I have aged or if we just got a bad room. The lobby is still beautiful; I absolutely love the layout. But, the room was only average. The bathroom was tiled floor to ceiling in dark green marble and the fixtures were all a fancy beaded brass. I thought it looked dated. The bed was comfortable, but I've slept in better. Even our bed at home is more comfortable. And, at night, there was a hum coming from either the air conditioner or the fridge. Either way, I noticed it.

So, what lesson do I take away from this?
  1. I'm pretty spoiled. Life is pretty darn good right now.
  2. I should be more grateful for what I have.
  3. Even when work is at it's worst, my list of worries is trivial compared to other peoples' lists of worries.
  4. I need to give back more to my local communities and to the world overall. There needs to be balance.
So, this Friday, I'm going to do something I've never done before. I'm going to donate blood. It's a small give back, granted, but it's something I can do immediately. There's no reason I can't. I'm in good shape. There's no recent travels that bar me. And, it does me no lasting harm and reminds me to do good. Need a reason to donate? Here's a good link from the Red Cross on reasons to give.


Cheers!
mouse

No comments: