Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Financial Planning and Analysis

Dear Friends and Family,

Mr. mouse and I spent a lot of time last night talking about our investment/retirement portfolio.
  1. He moved some more money into natural resources and wanted to talk about additional options to move yet more money. I wasn't sure about the approach. It's important for me that we stay diversified, and not have all of our eggs in the $120/barrel oil basket.
  2. Mr. mouse feels like we're too heavily weighted in large cap US equities which have, over the past ten years, not shown any real returns. And, he'd like to balance our portfolio lighter in them. Surprisingly, he's a fan of my low risk, normally low return, fixed income funds.
  3. We decided to move some of the large cap equities into other natural resource funds. Some tied to minerals, some tied to food. We already have stakes in water and in oil. I guess we believe this is all about supply and demand of building blocks. I spoke in January about investing in wheat and corn and beef. And, hindsight being 20/20, I think that's salt in the wound for Mr. mouse. (They're up a lot this year.)
We'll see how the rest of 2008 plays out.


Cheers!
mouse

No comments: