Saturday, May 03, 2008

Mouse and Mouse Sister

Dear Friends and Family,

I guess there's nothing to explain how siblings end up so different. But, here I am, realizing how different I am from my sister.

She's still struggling with endometriosis. And, in my view, if it were me, I'd be either on birth control pills (which do a decent job of relieving the symptoms) or having my ovaries removed. End of story. Nice. Simple. Done. And, if it meant no biological kids for me, and I really wanted a family, I'd adopt. And, that would be it. I guess we're just different that way.

No, instead, 12 months after her relationship with husband #1 started breaking down, she's planning wedding #2. And, she wants me to be going full bore excited planning about it. And, they're jumping full tilt into baby making mode. And, I'm just not all that enthused. I'm wondering, is this relationship for real? Maybe it's worth assessing that before introducing kids into the equation. It's not like you can make them go away if the relationship doesn't work out.

And, it makes me feel like a bad sister. Because I'm just not that into it. And, it makes me feel like a bad person. Because I feel like a complete person even if I'm not a mom.

What a wonderful way to start the weekend.


Cheers!
mouse

1 comment:

Trixie said...

so NOT a bad mouse. more than ever before, i realize how important it is to have a full, whole life of your own before you go interacting with (or creating) new people. i think you're justified in being concerned about your sister's intentions and her actions. totally get that. that actually makes you a caring person - not sure how the hell to balance that with what you say/do...isn't that just the rub?

is there any way to dr. phil her on this one? just say "i'm your sister and i'll always love you and want what's best for you. however, because of x and y in your life, i'm taking a more pragmatic perspective at 'what's best' than you might be. give me some time to work up to this." or something??? maybe i'm not so much help on matters of the family? no experience! xoxoxox