Monday, April 06, 2009

04.06.09: Pioneer Weekend

Dear Friends and Family,

I jinxed myself.

We went in Friday for our doctor's appointment which turned out to be non-routine on two fronts.
  1. Cervix dilated to around 1.5cm, 70% effaced, and the head at 0 station. In other words, Pioneer might be joining us sooner than we anticipated.
  2. No fundal height change from two weeks ago which means Pioneer hasn't grown much over the two weeks even if they've been maturing. We did an ultrasound and they measured in at 4 lbs 9 oz which is, fortunately, in the normal range.
The doctor sent us to the hospital. We spent the day in triage while they monitored Pioneer's heart rate and checked for contractions. Friday afternoon they decided to send us home, but they asked us to check-in again Saturday morning at the doctor's office. The appointment went fine. We're back to weekly visits now, surprise, surprise.

We spent the rest of Saturday at the hospital taking classes: Infant CPR and Baby Care. And, we did our Target run Saturday night, picking up diapers and wipes and petroleum jelly and baby shampoo and other miscellanea that the books said we'll need. Mr. mouse's step-mom called Saturday night. I think she's eager for Pioneer.

Sunday, another day at the hospital. This time it was an all day class on labor and delivery. I confess, some of the pictures and video were a little too graphic for me. And, I'm a little freaked by the postpartum care I'll apparently need. But, I guess it's a little late to be freaking over it. I'll take it one day at a time, like I did my ankle recovery. And, hopefully it'll be over before I know it.

We went out to dinner (tapas) Sunday night with a couple of close friends from work. And, now it's time for the week to begin. I hope the snow that came down last night doesn't stick around for too long.

Hopefully Pioneer can make it three more weeks to term before they're born. One day at a time.


Cheers!
mouse

Our Master Check List
  • start Mr. mouse's paperwork
  • figure out my summer schedule
  • fill out birth plan
  • sign up for childcare
  • figure out nanny plans
  • get a pediatrician
  • thank you cards
  • birth announcements
  • pick Pioneer's middle name, if any
  • Pioneer's shopping list
  • take classes (3 down, 1 to go)
  • hang curtains
  • will/estate plan
  • check life insurance
  • add Pioneer to insurance plans and beneficiary info
  • pack bag
  • who to call/who to email plans
  • install car seat
  • pre-wash Pioneer's clothes
  • plan April/June weekend
  • hang wall art
  • figure out changing table area
  • complete the "what I want to do over 12 weeks plan"
  • camcorder/computer plans
  • cord blood banking?
  • get my parents to do their research on name options
Progress.

1 comment:

Trixie said...

whew - glad everything is ok, and that you're taking it as slowly as possible. what were your weights at birth? i was all of 5#12, and i didn't have cute petite parents like yourselves...guess you never know. sending you good juju, sister. can't wait to meet pioneer but maybe just a little longer...? ;) xoxoxo