Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Weight Gain Goals

Dear Friends and Family,

Mr. mouse is intentionally trying to fatten me up in the hopes that it will help Pioneer to grow. I'm not necessarily convinced the two are as closely correlated as he believes.

Here's my thoughts: all of the books and articles and stuff recommend that the mom gains between 25-35 pounds if she starts from a "normal" body weight, which I did. By my rough math, that equates to a pound a week during the second and third trimester and four pounds for the first trimester (26 + 4 = 30).

I'm currently at week 34.5 so I should have gained 25.5 lbs by now (34.5 - 13 + 4). And, I've gained 26.5, which seems pretty close to plan. Well, Pioneer is measuring 4.5 lbs and Mr. mouse is convinced they should be closer to 5.5 lbs and figures if I gain a couple of additional pounds, so will Pioneer.

Now, I'm willing to take one for the team, but it's tough to put on weight when there's just not a lot of room for the stomach to hold food. We'll see where this all leads.

I will concede on one point. After a weekend of classes I have come to realize either:
  1. I am impossibly clever at picking stylish clothes that hide a baby bump (not likely since clothing has always been about function, not form, for me)
  2. everyone in my class was having twins (not likely since last I checked twins are ~3% of all births)
  3. everyone is one baby #2 or greater (not likely since they would be the least likely to take these introductory courses)
  4. we're taking the classes early (not likely since when we introduced ourselves, we were squarely in the middle of the pack that ranged from late April to early June)
  5. Pioneer does not make a big bump (by process of elimination this seems like the likely null hypothesis for now)
We'll see what Mr. mouse tries to feed me over the next couple of days...


Cheers!
mouse

Our Master Check List
  • figure out my summer schedule
  • fill out birth plan
  • sign up for childcare
  • figure out nanny plans
  • get a pediatrician
  • thank you cards
  • birth announcements
  • pick Pioneer's middle name, if any
  • Pioneer's shopping list
  • take classes (3 down, 1 to go)
  • hang curtains
  • will/estate plan
  • check life insurance
  • add Pioneer to insurance plans and beneficiary info
  • pack bag
  • install car seat
  • pre-wash Pioneer's clothes
  • plan April/June weekend
  • hang wall art
  • figure out changing table area
  • complete the "what I want to do over 12 weeks plan"
  • camcorder/computer plans
  • get my parents to do their research on name options
2 more down...

1 comment:

Rochelle said...

Don't worry about the baby's weight. When I was pregnant with my son, I gained 70lbs. The doctors said he was around 9 lbs when I was at 35 weeks based on sonogram. However, he was late -born at 42 weeks and only weighed 7lbs 11 ozs. But my daughter was born at 33 weeks and weighed 7lbs 8 oz and I had only put on 50 lbs with her. Sometimes the sonograms and measurements can be wrong and in my case packing on the pounds didn't make a difference. I was underweight when I got pregnant so I was trying to put on extra weight.

The baby will put on weight whether you put on the pounds or not. I actually lost weight at the end of my daughter's pregnancy. You and Pioneer will be fine. Just enjoy time with Mr Mouse now while it's just the two of you!