Thursday, April 09, 2009

Vermont's Victory

Dear Small,

You'll, hopefully, be joining us soon, but hopefully not too soon.

I want to share with you my thoughts on a law that was passed this week in Vermont. The Vermont State Legislature voted to legalize same sex marriage. I know this is a controversial issue with people with strong feelings on both sides.

I support gay marriage and am happy the bill passed.

I believe everyone is entitled to equal rights and equal protection under the law. For me, that means all citizens should have equal access to government protection (e.g. Social Security benefits) and to government intervention (e.g. child support payments). It shouldn't be based on gender or gender preferences. Whether you grow up to be heterosexual or homosexual, if you find someone for you who is what your Dad is for me, I would want you to be able to celebrate that love and have it recognized by all.

Even more importantly, I would never want your happiness to be at the expense of denying someone else that same happiness.

This goes back to a previous letter. Judge people not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character. First, you shouldn't be judging other people's relationships. But, if you were to, judge it on the strength and health of the relationship, not race, or age, or gender, or height, or any other irrelevant criteria or circumstance.

Hope to see you soon, but not too soon.


Love,
your mom

Our Master Check List
  • figure out my summer schedule
  • sign up for childcare
  • figure out nanny plans
  • get a pediatrician
  • thank you cards
  • birth announcements
  • pick Pioneer's middle name, if any
  • Pioneer's shopping list
  • take classes (3 down, 1 to go)
  • hang curtains
  • will/estate plan
  • check life insurance
  • add Pioneer to insurance plans and beneficiary info
  • pack bag
  • install car seat
  • pre-wash Pioneer's clothes
  • plan April/June weekend
  • hang wall art
  • figure out changing table area
  • complete the "what I want to do over 12 weeks plan"
  • camcorder/computer plans
  • get my parents to do their research on name options
1 fewer items, slowly but surely...

No comments: