Thursday, January 21, 2010

Frugal Mom: Crib

Dear Friends and Family,

After facing the bewildering array of "stuff" that everyone claims is "essential" when you have a baby, I've decided to post my own views on it all. There's so much "stuff" and you use it for such a short period of time. It borders on ridiculous. It's bad for the environment. It's hard on the wallet. It does not prove you love your newborn any more or less than the person who spends like there's no tomorrow. Because there is a tomorrow. And, guess what, that money can go into the brand spanking new college fund you'll be starting.

Okay. The crib. I'd put it in the bucket of "stuff you absolutely need." But, the simpler the better. I don't need a crib that's going to convert into a toddler bed and then into a day bed and then into a headboard for a full sized bed. That's just a little too much transformers acrobatics for me. I figure there's baby furniture that I'll use for two years. Then, there's toddler furniture that's good for another 4 years. And, then, I'll splurge on the real stuff that'll stay in the room for the rest of time once they're done chewing on their furniture.

Drop down sides are going away - there's just too many accidents with them. A simple, SAFE crib is all you really need. No fuss. No muss.

I like the Ikea Gulliver crib. $99 in white. We splurged for the $139 in birch.

Ikea Gulliver CribIt's simple. It's safe. It matches our decor. And, at $139, it doesn't break the bank.


Cheers!
mouse

3 comments:

Hey There said...

How about a pack 'n play? Small and portable, and a familiar environment to sleep in on overnight trips. Plus it's easy to hand down after she outgrows. It worked out great for us.

mouse said...

The pack and play is on my list of good to have items - it's the bassinet, changing table, travel bed, and now, the place where we can put her for a couple of minutes knowing she can't crawl away...

Hey There said...

Right on