Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Only Children Rant

Dear Friends and Family,

One of my colleagues at work has an only child, and every time I meet her I can't help but shake my head and hope P doesn't grow up to be like her.

Her parents discipline her. But, her null hypothesis is, it will be my way unless there's a good reason for it not to be my way. Whereas, as a person with siblings I knew there was a 1 in X chance for it to be "my way" with the probability going up if I could align siblings to vote my contingent. And, even then, there was the parent vote and veto. But, her assumption is unless there's a good reason why not, it's a gimme.

Here's an example. They came over on Saturday, unannounced, an hour before the party began. Mr. mouse was unloading groceries. I was heading upstairs to feed P. Our other friends were doing last minute party prep. She wanted ice cream. She asked me as I was headed upstairs. And, I told her to ask Mr. mouse when he was done unloading groceries. When I came downstairs, Mr. mouse was still unloading groceries. And, she asked me again. And, I told her to ask Mr. mouse when he was done unloading groceries. So, she asks him immediately - while he's unloading groceries.

Obviously, there's no safety issues here on the ice cream. And, she knows she'll get it since we said yes, but not now. But, her assumption is, unless there's a good reason why not now, then, as long as you ask politely, you should be able to get your way.

I'm not sure I'm making any sense here. Anyways, suffice it to say, P will not be like that when she grows up. Cause, if she had asked Mr. mouse while he was unloading groceries, my answer would have been. "I told you to wait until your Dad was done unloading groceries before asking him. Ask again, and it's no ice cream. Understood?"

What a Mom.


Cheers!
mouse

No comments: