Wednesday, December 08, 2010

Taming Monsters

Dear Friends and Family,

There are two wars waged last night. Two monsters. Two different approaches. Two different strategies.

The Toddler Terror

P was in a monster of a mood last night. She was tired from being up since 3:30. She was cranky from teeth coming in. She was unhappy with the fact that I had to send off two not-so-quick emails when I got home.

We were tired from being up since 3:30. I was cranky from a long drive home with a whiny baby in the car. I was unhappy that I had to bring work home. Mr.mouse was unhappy that P was whining at home.

This is a quick military exercise in survival. Let's get everyone decently calm, decently fed, decently clean, and into bed. NOW.

The Kitchen Monster

Our house is a constant battle against clutter. I detest clutter. I have been fighting it my entire life. It's a battle I lost at home growing up. One lone person cannot win against a family of hoarders. It's a battle I won when living alone. That's a gimme. It's a battle I have been waging since living with Mr. mouse - one where I win some and I lose some.

I have proudly been able to maintain my foothold on the most savage of beachheads - the kitchen island. Three days, now, I have been able to keep it cleared and organized. I think I need to use this moment to expand my small victory and start contemplating the kitchen counters. Same strategy as with the island - tiny changes to sneak in without Mr. mouse noticing. And, then, once I gain enough momentum, a massive attack on the remaining space.

The things that are my life. Sad, but so true.


Cheers!
mouse

No comments: