Friday, December 10, 2010

Tax Mystery

Dear Friends and Family,

I know it's more complicated than this. I'm not going to pretend it's not. But, I'm always been a big fan of a flat tax. Not a flat tax rate. A flat tax.

A flat tax?

Yes. A flat tax.

One where you take the budget (e.g. $3.8 trillion dollars for 2011) and the population (300 million for the US) - divide one by the other and voila, your tax bill.

You'd get rid of tax rates, exemptions, forms, credits, and all the other stuff. If we know our bill at the beginning of the year, we could all start saving for it and plan accordingly.

Our bill as a family of three would be $38,400 which is a fraction of what we pay. Not that I mind the taxes that I pay. I just mind all of the greed that is evident in all of the talks. And, I know that people making more than me (a lot more than me) are paying less than me (a lot less than me) in taxes.

Oh, and like United Way contributions, I'd like to spell out how I want my taxes to be spent (i.e. which department or initiative gets my money). If you leave it blank the government can allocate it. Think about how much smarter we'd all be about where our money goes.

Anyway, that's my source of inspiration for the day - simplification and ownership.


Cheers!
mouse

No comments: