Thursday, February 16, 2012

Found Money

Dear Friends and Family,

Found money. You can't rely on it. You can't plan for it. Nonetheless, if you find it, don't complain. It's still money.

Mr. mouse found some money recently. No, not money on the street or a wallet or anything like that. We got a check from an account because he had been withholding dollars to pay for P's school. And, now that we've paid it we get it back. There's some tax advantage I don't fully understand. Nevertheless, if you find it, don't complain. It's still money.

Now, I just need to wrap my head around what to do with it. Do we think of it as regular income? Or we think of it as extra income? Ultimately, that helps me decide if we save the money or if the money is available for spending. If it's regular income, then I'm okay keeping the found money and using it to offset Mr. mouse's January paycheck withholding. If it's extra income, then we should save 90% of it and find a way to tighten our belts to make up for January.

I think it's regular income. We paid for school. We're getting that back. Like an income tax refund.

Even if you can't rely on it and can't plan for it doesn't mean I don't like found money. Yeah for mouse.


Cheers!
mouse

No comments: