Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Habit Formation

Dear Friends and Family,

Because I've always been interested in habit formation and my finger nails are bitten to nubs and there's an article floating around on habits, I've decided to...

Stop biting my nails? Nope. Start doing laundry.

Yep.

Here's my current routine. I come home. I divest myself of my "pockets" - wallet, watch, glasses, keys, camera, etc. I hang up my coat and put my gloves away. I take my phone upstairs with me and plug it in. I change. I put a pin in my hair. I come downstairs for the evening.

New routine. Same as above. Except, after I put a pin in my hair. If I'm home at a reasonable hour, as in we didn't go out for dinner, I sort through the laundry and bring a load down to wash. I load the washer and set it to clean. I put the laundry basket on the stairs to take up later in the evening. I am downstairs for the evening. Resume former routine.

Sometime in the evening when the load is done I transfer it to the dryer and set it to dry. This is new.

When I head up for bed, instead of just walking up, I bring the laundry basket back up and load the laundry on the floor (from the sorting) back into the basket. Resume former routine of brushing teeth, etc.

I think it's got a shot at working. But, what about the laundry that's now dry that needs to be taken out, folded, brought upstairs, and put away? I've asked Mr. mouse to keep that part afloat for now.


Cheers!
mouse

No comments: