Wednesday, March 14, 2012

The Complicated Nail Biting Habit

Dear Friends and Family,

It's amazing I have fingernails at all.

After two weeks of careful note taking, I've determined it's a combination of cues that trigger nail biting. I've figured out the routine. I still don't have a good grasp on the reward.

The Easy Cues

These deal with my hands. These also help explain why manicures help. If they're in good shape, I tend to leave them alone. If they're in bad shape, I tend to pick at them. First, there's the cuticles. Hangnails, overgrown cuticles, and rough spots on healing cuticles seem to trigger nail biting. Then, there's the nail edge. Rough edges, broken edges, edges with lots of random bits of skin seem to trigger nail biting. Last, but not least, overgrown nails or broken nails seem to trigger nail biting.

The Harder Cues

If that all isn't enough. There are the other cues. I'm hungry. I'm cold. I'm bored. I'm stuck. I'm pressed for time. I'm stressed. I'm waiting for a file to open. I need to pee. Yes, it's almost like I'm looking for an excuse to bite my nails. However, on the flip side, if I'm fed and occupied, I am in good shape.

The Routine

I start with my fingers - picking at all the possible things I can pick at. If I need "help" I'll turn to other things like files, clips, etc. that could "help" with whatever I am picking at. And, if that doesn't work, then I turn to my teeth and biting and somehow believe that will remedy the situation.

The Reward

Who the hell knows. Seriously.

The Current Status

I'm trying bi-weekly manicures to get the nails into shape and then hopefully keep them in shape. I'm trying to track my "other" cues and divert them into more healthy behavior. My right hand is making progress, outside of my thumb. My left hand is making progress, albeit at a slower pace. The index finger and ring finger are still gross.

It's been an interesting learning process, that's for sure.


Cheers!
mouse

No comments: