Wednesday, August 01, 2012

Freedom - Decoupled Mouse

Dear Friends and Family,

Don't panic. This isn't about Mr. mouse. This is about work.

P's school is a subsidized daycare program that is tied to my work. That means if I quit and/or I'm let go, she needs to find new care since she's no longer eligible to attend the school.

This wasn't a big deal in the infant room or even the toddler room. But, somewhere close to when she hit three, she started making friends and the pressure mounted. Leaving was getting tougher. Concurrent to all of this was the fact that I loved my work and saw lots of potential in the company when P was in the infant room and even the toddler room. But, somewhere close to when she hit three, I started becoming less enamored with work and the pressure mounted. Staying was getting tougher.

So would have continued the drama until P "graduated" from the program. I've been intent on finding a four-year-old program for P so that she could transition next fall, thinking that I could stretch out my tenure for another year if I had to. There was always the risk of being laid off, but that's a fact I've had to deal with for a long time now.

Well, in a conversation I had with the school director yesterday, I learned that they'll be opening the center to the community. In other words, I don't have to work at work and P can still go to school at school. I won't believe it until the first kids start streaming in and it feels real, but it wasn't even in the option set of things to possibly believe until yesterday.

I don't think I'll do anything rash. But, for the first time in a LONG time (four years if you count the year I was pregnant) I can make a career decision somewhat independent of P. I never resented the coupling, but the decoupling feels exhilarating. I'm still somewhat coupled since someone needs to drop P off at school and pick P up. But, the freedom feels intoxicating.

For now, not a ton will change. I still need to go get ready for work this morning.


Cheers!
mouse

No comments: