Thursday, May 29, 2014

Last Day of School

Dear P,

It's your last day of junior kindergarten today. If you make it through the day, you will have gone to school every day that school was open this past year. They used to give out perfect attendance awards when I was a kid, but I don't think they do that anymore.

P, I am so proud of you! You're a big kid now who does big kid things. You text Daddy on the phone. You try to clean up your own spills. You notice things and quickly extrapolate and interpolate other things that should fit the pattern of the world you see.

And, while I'm not sure if you've learned a lot in the traditional sense, I think you have learned a ton in school this past year and I'm so impressed. You're less shy. You're more independent in your play. You're better at solving problems and taking turns. And, you're better at controlling your emotions and letting us know when you're upset.

To be honest, in a way, I think that's more important than if you learned your letters (which you already know) or learned your numbers (which you already know) or learned how to use scissors (which you already know). Those are all important skills, but they're more discrete, they can be taught anytime.

Learning life's lessons, that seems like it should be on the critical path.

I'm looking forward to summer vacation with you. You've never had summer vacation. And, it'll be your longest break ever. We'll have lots of fun doing things only we can do together. I'm glad I switched my work to have this time with you. Hopefully you agree.

Well, I need to get ready now since we're headed to school together for one last drop off.


Love,
your Mommy

No comments: