Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Being Jewish vs. Being Christian

Dear Friends and Family,

I had a topic for this morning's post, but, alas, I can't remember it. I've been sitting here for the past hour waiting for inspiration to strike, to no avail. Sorry to leave you high and dry, but there's absolutely nothing coming to mind. Life is that dull and I am that complacent.

Ah. I remember one now. It's not the one, but it'll have to do.

We were leaving dinner Saturday night with Mr. mouse's friends, and the wife leans over and tells me, "I'm not religious or anything like that, but I firmly believe God gives you only what you can handle." (This was in reference to her two darling children who were amazingly well behaved at dinner.) I found this passing comment so comforting and in such stark contrast to a lot of Christian thoughts on God. (She's Jewish.) The Christian God seems so much more capricious and cruel. He tests you and gives you more than you can handle and in his infinite wisdom asks you to have faith in him to get you through.

Now, I'm more Buddhist than anything else. So, hopefully, I'm not offending anyone here. But, I found the dichotomy so interesting. It speaks volumes about the two groups and their approach to life.


Cheers!
mouse

No comments: