Friday, August 22, 2008

Terminal Cancer, Patient Doesn't Know

Dear mouse journal,

My cousin called yesterday for my sister's cell phone number to figure out logistics for the upcoming wedding. And, she mentioned she was looking into plane tickets to New York for her mom who wants to go see her brother, our oldest uncle.

Our uncle is dying. He's been diagnosed with terminal lung cancer and has about six months left to live. It's sad, but, I've come to grips with it. I never met Mr. mouse's mom. She died when she was 51 from lung cancer.

Back to my uncle. According to my cousin, the family hasn't told him he has six months left to live. They told him he's sick. That he requires treatment. But, no word of cancer. And, no word of time frame.

What is wrong with these people?!?! How can you hope to keep that kind of information a secret? And, more importantly, why would you keep that kind of information a secret? And, it's not exactly a secret. Everyone knows, with the exception of my uncle.

How is this a good idea, people? More to come, I'm sure. I told my cousin I would go back the same weekend she went back so we could see him together.


mouse

1 comment:

Trixie said...

oh goodness, i'm so sorry to hear this, mouse. i also agree that it's bizarre to keep this information from him...why on earth? are they able to do that because of a language barrier? aren't they worried someone will slip or something? not that you know the answers or anything...yuk! big hug to you, my friend. xoxox