Monday, February 02, 2009

02.02.09: Superbowl Weekend

Dear Friends and Family,

What a fun weekend.

Saturday, we woke up at a decent hour and had breakfast together before heading out to pick up mail and to begin shopping for Pioneer. We spent a couple of hours at Babies R Us just soaking in the range of products and options. Then, we came home and went to a small boutique store in the neighborhood that focuses on higher end baby gear. Out of all this, I was able to make a list of immediate needs (e.g. crib) and later needs (e.g. high chair) with each split into two buckets "must haves" (e.g. bottles) and "maybes" (e.g. bouncer). I think I'm getting a handle on all of this.

The other decision point I came to Saturday night is that I'm leaning towards outfitting Pioneer's room from IKEA for the first couple of years. It's durable. It's cheap. It's functional. And, it's disposable. With only one child in the plans and with a frugality made worse by the current economy and by the realization that Pioneer will remember almost none of it, I can't justify some of the crazy amounts people spend on preparing for baby. I think I'll do an IKEA stock up for birth. Do an upgrade at 2 or whenever they outgrow their crib. And then do a second upgrade at 5-6 years of age to the "real" stuff.

Sunday, we picked up cupcakes for a Super Bowl party. Then, we hit Target for some random stuff we needed. Then, came home and did some final recovery from the party - making both beds with new sheets, and folding all of the towels and table cloths. Then, I apparently climbed into bed and passed out for two hours for a nice afternoon nap. We headed out to our friends' house for pizza, wings, cupcakes, ice cream, Superbowl squares and some general fun.

Over the weekend, Mr. mouse and I spent a lot of time talking about Pioneer. Overall, minus a couple of scares early on, we really can't complain. The pregnancy has been going so smoothly. And, knowing we've only got one in the plans, we've both been trying to savor each phase of it since we know it's a once in a lifetime experience for us. While on the one hand, I'm looking forward to being able to take a deep breath and to have a flat belly again, on the other hand, I think I'll miss Pioneer once they're born and we're not sharing what we share now. I never thought I'd be "that person," but in a way I guess I am.


Cheers!
mouse

1 comment:

Trixie said...

sounds like you're off to a great start with the baby gear - and i'm totally with you on the ikea angle. it's so easy to go over the top and honestly ikea has some really cute stuff! you can always invest in great accessories that will last and be perfect when you do the furniture upgrades later. sounds like fun! and glad to know you're taking in the little moments too - it's ALL a once in a lifetime experience, after all! xoxoxo