Friday, February 20, 2009

02.20.09 (Week 28, Day 7): 28 down, 12 weeks to go

Dear Friends and Family,

We went in last Friday for a doctor's appointment.

Pioneer continues to grow and do well. They measured 2 lbs 5 oz at the ultrasound which is right on track. And, good news my placenta moved from low lying to normal. So, I'm off the pelvic rest and can continue the last three months with fewer concerns than before.

This week also marks the end of week 28. Each of the past and upcoming weeks are a crucial week in the probability game. If Pioneer was born now... the chances of survival would be... and the risk of complications would be... As you'd expect, each week provides better odds. But, it's not linear. I believe 28 weeks is one of those non-linear tipping points. Yeah, Pioneer!

How am I feeling? No new symptoms. Pioneer continues to move. Burping has largely faded. I think the thing I need to manage is food. No need to grow too large with the pregnancy - 25-35 pounds is my target. The thing I need to focus on is eating healthy. Sometimes, I snack now because I can get away with it. I don't need the snack calories. Nor am I particularly hungry. It may be emotional. It may be just for fun. I need to instill more discipline cause sooner or later I'm going to need to work off any additional poundage.

I talk with Pioneer in little snippets. I know they can hear me even if they can't understand me. It's fun to engage them. I wonder what their day is like. And, I picture what they'll look like when they're born. In my mind, Pioneer is a little lumpiken - not much muscular control, not much shape, a little lump/blob whose head you need to hold up - a cute lumpiken, but a lumpiken nonetheless.

Baby
Your baby measures about 10.4 inches from crown to rump, or a total length of about 16.7 inches from head to toe, and weighs about 2.7 pounds. At this stage a fetus's eyes are almost always blue and can distinguish bright sunlight or artificial light through the uterine wall. Baby is performing fewer acrobatics as conditions in the womb become more cramped, but still doing a lot of kicking and stretching.

Mom-to-Be
Your uterus is about 3.5 to 4 inches above your navel. Weight gain is probably between 19 and 25 pounds. As odds improve that baby could survive outside the womb -- although in a neonatal intensive-care unit -- you may be feeling relieved and excited, or anxious about motherhood, your baby's health, and labor and delivery. If you do experience premature labor, signs include menstrual-like cramps or lower back pain, a trickle of amniotic fluid, or a watery pinkish or brownish discharge preceded sometimes by the passage of a thick, gelatinous mucus plug. Your practitioner often can stop labor from progressing with bed rest, muscle relaxants or other drugs, possibly requiring hospitalization.

Tip for the Week
Your blood pressure typically may rise a little around the seventh month, but contact your practitioner if you get severe headaches, blurred vision or severe swelling of hands, feet or ankles, or if you experience severe weight gain. These symptoms could signal the beginning of preeclampsia, a dangerous condition marked by high blood pressure and high levels of protein in the urine during pregnancy.


Cheers!
mouse

No comments: