Monday, July 23, 2012

07.23.12: Jealous P

Dear Friends and Family,

We went out for a quick trip to see my sister and her husband and their new baby.

P was excited about seeing the baby. She was excited about giving him lots of baby things that she was done with.

It turns out P was not at all excited about having her parents hold the baby or talk to the baby or look at the baby. I can see why. She's used to having her parents somewhat undivided attention. She's used to us looking at her and talking to her. And, with the baby, there's times where you're focused on it and she's watching you not watching her.

Jealous and sad, that was P.

She didn't say anything. I don't think she has the words to describe it all. I gave her tons of hugs to make up for it, and I think it gave me the answer I somewhat needed. There are three in our family.

Sunday, when we got home, I gave P a gummy bear. In the middle of eating it, she said she needed to go potty so I took her to the bathroom. She peed. She wiped. She was leaning over the toilet to watch the toilet paper "get all messy" when I heard a plop followed quickly by a wail. In her distraction, her gummy bear fell out of her mouth and into the toilet.

She cried and cried and cried and sobbed out the words, I dropped my gummy into the potty (or maybe it was my gummy fell into the potty). I tried not to laugh. I held her and let her cry it out and then offered her a fruit jelly which consoled her.

Also on Sunday, we gave P her doll. She was super excited about getting a doll. But, when she got it, there was only one word for it. Disappointed.

She wanted a doll for a three-year-old. I'm not sure what that is. She wanted a bald doll. She wanted a Caucasian doll.

I was having so much trouble not laughing.

We may end up getting a hat. We may end up getting another doll. We'll see.

Friends coming in town this weekend. Deck table assembled. Check. Kitchen island cleared. Check. Basement prep left to do.


Cheers!
mouse

No comments: