Tuesday, July 03, 2012

Looking for Moderation, Finding Extremes

Dear Friends and Family,

Time to remember why I think Buddhists rock.

Moderation.

Yesterday, I yelled at Mr. mouse. Partly, I was ticked because of the numerous text messages. But, compounding that was the heat and the traffic.

Yesterday, I bit three fingers to nubbins. Partly, I was expending nervous energy at work. But, compounding that was HUNGER.

Time to take a step back and reassess because today, I know I'm headed into trouble. Meeting first thing in the morning compounded with drop off, water day, potty training gear and heat and hunger and general irritation.

Let's focus on what's in my control and learn to let go of what's outside of my control.

Traffic. It sucks. It sucks more because you can't predict it. I'm making a promise to myself that I'm only doing this commute for one more year. We're going to look at full day junior kindergarten programs for P. I love my time with her every day, but I don't think I'll miss the daily commute.

Heat. It sucks. It sucks more because I'm fat. I remember when I was at my goal weight, the heat didn't bother me. This could be due to a couple of different factors. Perhaps having less fat makes it easier to cool the body, like the reverse of animals who build up fat for the winter to help stay warm. Perhaps the body is better able to regulate itself when it's at its goal weight. Perhaps clothes fit better and there's more of them in the closet to work temperature ranges. Perhaps the abuse of getting to goal weight beats the body into submission and a little bit of extra heat isn't anything compared to semi-starvation.

Texts. See traffic.

Nervous energy. This alone I can cope with.

Hunger. This I need to find a solution to. I could definitely make smarter eating choices. I chewed up a lot of points this past week on short ribs and tiramisu. Both were in the fridge so it wasn't just a single serving of each that did me in. It was the serving a day over the week that did me in.

Perhaps I should also switch to club soda instead of all of the flavors of diet soda at work.


Cheers!
mouse

No comments: