Wednesday, July 25, 2012

My Life on an 8.5 x 11 Inch Sheet of Paper

Dear Friends and Family,

First, let me write that it's a beautiful dawn outside this morning. The lighting has that surreal quality I love. I'm tempted to go outside and write except the battery on this computer is useless at best.

Back to reality.

My life can be squeezed on to an 8.5 x 11 inch sheet of paper. If it can't, that's a sign. It's a sign that it's overwhelming because I can't really handle more than that, realistically speaking.

Speaking of said 8.5 x 11 inch sheet of paper. It's now got a sixth column... School plans. If we're serious about looking at programs for P for next year, then we need to be serious about plotting out the next 12 months and what each school requires us to do. Sadly, we may end up doing this all over again the following year, but I refuse to think about that.

For now, I'll add what I know and then we'll continue to modify as we go.

Did I mention how beautiful the light is?

My six columns?
  1. Time Sensitive: This is stuff that needs to happen on a particular day or it loses all value of being done, like going to a friend's birthday party. We're not really doing that on our schedule. I like to keep about three weeks worth on this column.
  2. The Nows: This has the traditional to do list with things like return the extra dolls to Amazon, get a birthday present for P's friend, and pick up my glasses. It also has my focus items for the month like backpack for P.
  3. The Laters: Now binned into three buckets. The first is a peek at what's queued for September (I change that frequently). And, a "takes time" bucket and a "takes money" bucket. These lists are getting long, but I figure it's better to track it than to forget about it.
  4. The Idea: This is my to do list for my idea. Hey, isn't part of my idea getting someone else to make this list go away?!?!
  5. School Plans: This list is still empty, but now it has a placeholder in my life.
  6. Travel Plans: This captures upcoming trips with notes on which tickets still need to be booked.
My life on an 8.5 x 11 inch sheet of paper.

I'm glad I took the time to watch the sunrise. After all, that's really what life is about.


Cheers!
mouse

No comments: