Tuesday, April 02, 2013

Changing Behavior

Dear Friends and Family,

Traffic was bad yesterday. Before our budget, Mr. mouse would have taken the train out to meet us and we would have gone out to dinner without thinking about it. Now, with the strict budget restrictions on us, we met on the way home (no incremental cost to getting off at a different station) and drove home together.

On the way home, we stopped to pick up some probiotics for me. Before our budget, we would have all gone into Whole Foods together and inevitably ended up eating dinner there. Instead, Mr. mouse stayed in the car with P and I went in by myself. The probiotics still cost $24, but we didn't spend any other money on top of that.

I suppose this budget is changing behavior, if the above is to be believed. We also delayed housecleaning for a week because I wanted to catch up on the weekend budget. Contrary to my hopes, we didn't catch up some this past weekend. In fact, we fell further behind because last week was such a disaster. I'm hoping my ear gets better. I really don't want to spend all the money we "saved" last night on parking, a co-pay, and more medicine.

I know at some point this will not feel as restrictive as it does now. I look forward to the weekend when we have funds left over. It'd be nice to buy some new clothes or get a manicure or do any number of things that felt like a part of normal life but for the moment feel like unobtainable luxuries. We'll get there, just not this weekend.


Cheers!
mouse

No comments: