Thursday, April 04, 2013

Progress, Finally

Dear Friends and Family,

It's Thursday, and we still have $61 left in our weekly budget. I'm almost giddy.

We haven't had any visits to the doctor, no jury duty, no haircuts, no mid-week social commitments, no groupons, no mix ups with the train. It's just been a normal week. Dinner out last night felt like a treat. You should have seen P's face when I told her we were going out to dinner. She was so happy. If we can keep it to one night out as a family and one night out with just P and me to avoid the traffic we can make it through the week in good shape, as long as no odd things pop up.

I'll be so proud of us if we make it through the week okay.

You might ask why this is so important to me. Clearly this budget doesn't have to be this strict. It's me trying to understand what the world will look like if we go down to one income and still need to pay tuition for P's school. I'm not sure if it needs to be this strict. I'm not sure if it needs to be stricter. This is just me beginning to assess what the world will look like. I'll fine tune once we've done this for a couple of months. If the checking account starts growing, I'll loosen the reins a bit. If it doesn't, I'll tighten a bit more. I figure it's a learning process.

My actual income? That doesn't figure into the equation much at all. Almost all of my income goes into a retirement account we have set up so it doesn't really pay for any of the day to day expenses. That's a lesson we learned from the craziness of 2001. We learned to live on one income since work seemed so unstable at the time.

Here's to $61!


Cheers!
mouse

No comments: