Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Team Lunch

Dear Friends and Family,

It's a friend's birthday and we're taking her out to lunch. And, now, I'm realizing Weight Watchers is like a bicycle. You never really forget. But, like a bicycle, you don't really remember by thinking about it, you remember by getting on it and wobbling around the block once or twice before taking it out for a ride.

There I was, yesterday, looking up nutritional information on the restaurant's website instead of relying on the item descriptions to try and discern what is healthy. And, of course, I was shocked at the lack of correlation between item description and its actual nutritional content. Some salads had more points than entrees. Some sandwiches were worse for you than burgers. Some items, in spite of sounding decadent, were actually not bad.

Where'd I land? Ultimately, I narrowed down based on points. Then, I chose based on sodium content. And, if all goes to plan, I'll be eating half of a steak with broccoli and a fruit cup. Now, if that sounds as boring as hell, well it is. My initial option was a stir-fried Kung Pao chicken with rice. But, then I looked at the sodium content and decided the steak was a better option for today. I can always go back and have the Kung Pao chicken another day.

And, that's another thing I'm remembering while on Weight Watchers. Seriously, think about it a moment, is it an absolute once in a lifetime opportunity, or is it just food? When we went to London (during my last Weight Watchers foray) and when we went to Turkey (again, last Weight Watchers foray) I decided it was worth it. I would make conscious decisions, but I would be okay with a gain for the week. If it took me a week or two or a month or two more, it was worth it, for those trips.

But, lunch at work? Definitely not worth it. The restaurant is down the road. We go approximately once a month. The food, while good, is not great. I can get any of the dishes anytime. Not worth batting an eye, much less breaking a sweat.


Cheers!
mouse

No comments: