Tuesday, May 08, 2012

Glass Cabinet Doors?

Dear Friends and Family,

I'm too tired to deal with posting pictures in the new blogger. But, I do want to write about my clutter progress. I have one cabinet under control. It's not a big cabinet. But, it feels good nonetheless.

The cabinet I conquered contained coffee mugs, a knife sharpener, a salt and pepper set, vitamins, P's medicines, and some plastic containers. It was full, but not overflowing.

The coffee mugs? I saved a set of four because they are pretty and I like them. I also saved a set of two because they are insulated and therefore useful in a different way. One remaining coffee mug had sentimental value and made it into our cabinet in the living room. Three that Mr. mouse couldn't part with were moved into various roles in the house where we were already using coffee mugs (e.g. the pen mug) and those mugs were moved back into the pile of to-donate mugs.

The knife sharpener? It really shouldn't be taking up valuable cabinet space so I moved it into the laundry pantry with the other small kitchen appliances.

The salt and pepper set? It's cute, but we don't use it. So, I put it with the mugs to be donated.

The vitamins? I threw out two bottles that were expired. I kept the remaining ones since I take those daily.

P's medicines? I threw out the expired ones. I kept one general anti-fever and I kept her red-eye medicine.

The plastic containers? The form factor on them is just odd. I thought they would work as lunch containers, but the two compartments on the right aren't the right size for anything we eat. So, I put them in the recycling bin.

The cabinet now? Top row: two insulated mugs. Middle row: four pretty tea mugs. Bottom row: my vitamins (2 containers) and P's medicine (2 containers).

Bliss.

The next project? I don't think we can escape plastic containers. We use them to store food in the fridge. We use them to pack lunch for P and me. But, we don't need the hodgepodge of containers we have now. We need three sizes - small, medium, and large. Right now we have small, medium, and random.

I already tossed out the second form factor of medium we had. We had only the bottoms left since the tops had all broken. So, my next plan of attack - find one large that Mr. mouse likes and then get rid of all the random ones we have.

Ultimately, I'd like to see if I can get to a point where we could have glass doors on our cabinets and be okay with it. Not saying we'd ever have glass doors, just seeing if I can ever get that organized.


Cheers!
mouse

No comments: