Thursday, May 24, 2012

Mouse's Budget: Week 2

Dear Friends and Family,

Well. It's Thursday and I've used my weekly allowance. I'm not too distressed since this is a learning exercise and not a real crisis. I know I'm seeing behavioral changes and that's what counts.

I started this week $11 in the red from the prior week. And, I spent:
  1. $22, MON, manicure
  2. $1, TUE, Diet Coke
  3. $50, TUE, seat cushions
  4. $3, TUE, french fries
  5. $14, WED, going away lunch for a friend
  6. $5, WED, train ticket
  7. $15, WED, dinner
Which leaves me $21 in the red over the cumulative two weeks.

I don't think I'm changing what I am buying (I didn't downgrade to cheaper seat cushions), but I am buying less frequently (I didn't buy new books for P like I sometimes randomly do).

I'm not going to differently places to eat, but I am eating out less frequently. I drive home more often rather than have Mr. mouse come out to meet me which also means we eat out less frequently.

I have been bringing in my lunch, but I'm still going to take friends out to lunch if they are leaving for school. I'm not going to skimp on the manicures. I've learned the hard way that I need them to keep my nails whole.

I think I'll also start using up random gift cards and coupons we have at home more often. I used a $30 one on the seat cushions. And, I may use a gift card for lunch next week if it's still valid.

The other interesting quandary I had was how to treat travel spend. It doesn't make sense to count every meal as eating out, it's real, but I don't think that's the point of this initial exercise. I think I'm okay suspending disbelief once I park the car and picking up this fantasy land when I get back to the car when we get home.


Cheers!
mouse

No comments: