Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Mouse Realizes We Need a Budget

Dear Friends and Family,

Every so often things get out of control and Mr. mouse and I forget that money doesn't grow on trees. And, we need to remind ourselves that we can live within our means.

Now is one of those times. And, because I don't have time for complicated new habit loops, I'm going to try a very simple approach.

For the seven days, I am going to try and spend under $100. And, by spend I mean anything I would normally charge to my credit card, not including gas. Guess I’m bringing in lunch all week.

What I've got planned:
  1. $30, WED or THU, dinner with P
  2. $25, SAT, brunch with P
  3. $10, SAT, bakery with P
  4. $25, SUN, manicure, just me
For gas:
  1. $51, MON, I had already filled the tank
  2. $49, WED or THU
That leaves $10 to spare, if I make it the whole week bringing in lunch and not buying anything and not have Mr. mouse meet me to drive home together - it's $5 a trip for that luxury.

I don't think one week's budget will save the world. But, it's a mindset that cues spending.

For example, yesterday, traffic wasn't great and Mr. mouse offered to meet me. But, if we met, the chances were high we'd go out to dinner. And, that would be $5 + dinner that I hadn't budgeted. So, I declined his offer.

Cue 1: offer to meet → Routine 1: accept and then go out to dinner → Reward 1: dinner and a nap on the way home

Cue 2: offer to meet → Routine 2: bounce offer against budget and then decline → Reward 2: a lower credit card bill

I realize there are a lot of people on a lot tighter a budget than we are on. But, I'm not going to try and over-complicate this. I've had success with my habit loops so far. I don't feel the need to have my house of cards come tumbling down on me.


Cheers!
mouse

No comments: