Thursday, May 31, 2012

Mouse's Secret Triage Process Revealed

Dear Friends and Family,

One of the people I work with is going through a rough time. His wife's pregnant. He has a new job. He just moved his wife here after doing the long distance thing for several months. The move did not go smoothly. He has boxes everywhere. A close friend of his just passed away unexpectedly. And, the list goes on.

I think there are moments when your life feels like a bad country song, and I'm not sure what can be done about it. I think different people have different reactions to it all.

I've been there. And, I think my reaction is pretty consistent.

First, and most important to me, is recognizing that the chaos is temporary. I have a pulse on what normal looks like and I know that the typical amount of chaos in my life is something I can handle. Just recognizing it's temporary helps a ton because it means I just need to get over the hump.

Then, I make a list to wrap my head around it all. Sometimes the list is of what is bothering me. Sometimes the list is of what needs to be done. Sometimes the list is whatever is spinning through my mind at 100 miles per hour.

Next, I examine my list. I make sure I understand it. Perhaps something is bothering me that is outside of my control. Well, I can cross it off the list. Perhaps something is on my mind that I can prevent or confront. Well, I can prevent it or confront it and then cross it off the list. Perhaps something can wait until after the crisis. Well, then I can move it into a new bucket of don't worry about it now.

Last, I power through, recognizing that there's really no other option. Getting angry or frustrated or anxious isn't going to help any so I might as well focus on the positive.

And, that, my friends is my plan for the next two weeks. I'll enjoy our quick visit with friends. I'll pack as well as I can for the funeral. I'll roll with the punches. I'll pack as well as I can for the race. I'll use the long weekend after the funeral to unwind and truly relax with friends. I'll deal with unpacking, cleaning the house, the broken dryer, and the questionable hard drive when I get back.


Cheers!
mouse

No comments: