Friday, October 17, 2014

Addictions and Habits and How They Work

Dear Friends and Family,

I'm almost embarrassed to admit it, but I think I'm not alone. I spend WAY too much unproductive time on the computer doing things that ultimately are a waste of time. I think I need to confine my time to the morning. Once my morning time is done, I need to walk away from my computer unless there's a specific purpose for being on it.

That means I can send an email to check on something, but I can't randomly checking Facebook or stocks. It means I can go through photos for a book I'm making but I can't read the news.

I think in a way it's easier to sometimes avoid the situation altogether than it is to limit consumption. I learned that lesson on Weight Watchers. It's easier to skip cake altogether than it is to have a bite and throw the rest away. I know other people learn the reverse lesson. It's easier for them to allow themselves the bite of cake. But, I've learned to recognize my addictions and skip them altogether.

So, for now I'm going to skip random time sinks on the computer by limiting my time on it to specific activities. I'll still get my free form time. But, after that time, it's time to move on. I think 8:30 seems like a reasonable time. Before 8:30 I can do whatever junk I want on the computer. After 8:30 I'm going to put the computer aside and focus.

I think I'll set up my phone to ring every day at 8:30 to remind me.


Cheers!
mouse

No comments: