Thursday, October 16, 2014

Day, Rearranged

Dear Friends and Family,

Last night P and I fell asleep at 8 o'clock together. Mr. mouse was on a trip and I had a busy day ahead of me on Thursday. I set the alarm clock for 4 o'clock and fell into a deep slumber snuggled next to P.

Then, at 1 o'clock in the morning I received a text. I vaguely ignored it and fell back into a doze. The phone buzzed again. I woke up. Now, normally, I don't sleep with the phone next to me. But, when Mr. mouse is traveling I use it as an alarm clock since I'm sleeping in P's room. I reached over to look at the next. It was Mr. mouse.

Back from dinner.

Yes. And, with those tragic words I found myself up. Instead of 8 hours of sleep, I lay in bed awake for 3 hours and find myself facing the day on 5 hours of sleep. Now, 5 hours of sleep from 11pm to 4am is hard, but 5 hours of sleep from 8pm to 1am is walking zombie mouse.

I couldn't have been more mad. This is the second time it's happened. And, I let Mr. mouse have an earful.

Now, I'm faced with some choices. Do I caffeine up and power through the day? Or do I plow through drop off and try to get some sleep? If it were any normal day the choice would be obvious. But, there's a coffee I'll need to bail on. And, there's no guarantee I'll get sleep because today is the day my housekeeper/personal assistant comes over.

Livid. How did I go from a promised night of 8 hours sleep to this? Yes, a text from Mr. mouse that stated, "back from dinner." That's how. In a former life, when Mr. mouse traveled, P and I slept on the airbed in my bedroom. The phone was downstairs. Mr. mouse could text at will and didn't need to worry about waking me.

But now that I sleep in P's room and the phone is inches from my head, texts from Mr. mouse have the potential to absolutely RUIN my night and the following day. Since it's happened twice now I've forbidden Mr. mouse to text me.

The twisted thing about all of this is if I had known I was going to skip the coffee and just try to plow through drop off, I would have tried to fall back asleep when 3 o'clock rolled around and I started getting tired again. But, since I thought I needed to get up and shower and get ready before drop off, I got out of bed.

Argh! There's no good answer. At least there's no good answer when you get woken up at 1 o'clock, roll in bed for 2 hours trying to fall back asleep and then morph into angry, tired, cold mouse. Hopefully the day turns around because it's not off to the best start.


Cheers!
mouse

No comments: