Wednesday, October 01, 2014

Problems at School

Dear Friends and Family,

It was bound to happen. Sooner or later, we knew we'd have to work through problems at school.

Last year, Mr. mouse and P and I had to work through some issues that had to do with some boys coming over and knocking down P's towers. And, that was relatively straightforward and P handled it well.

This year, we've noticed P is branching out to play with more kids which we think is excellent. But it also means she's not as close to her BFF from last year which is the trade-off, I guess, for making more friends. Plus, there's less play time this year as the kids get more structure to their day. So, that alone would have decreased P's play time with her BFF. But, that's all fine and good. That would hardly constitute a problem by our standards.

The problem? One of the girls in P's class is very sensitive and a little bossy. And while P has been coping with it, it has been impacting her experience at school. While I feel for the girl and wish she was happy, I'm not willing to let it impact P. So, I've told P that if the girl is not being a good friend then P shouldn't feel obligated to play with her. I know, that would hardly constitute a problem in a lot of parent's books. But, I hold myself responsible for this one. The mom introduced herself to me and so P's relationship with the girl is a result of my friendship with the mom.

But, I've got my priorities straight. P comes first. And, if the situation with the girls is not a healthy one then I'm not going to encourage it going forward. If that means restricting the relationship to just the moms, I'm fine with that. And, if it means slowly drifting apart, I'm fine with that as well. It won't be anything melodramatic like in a soap opera. It'll just mean that P's calendar and mine will be less available, P's more so than mine. No fireworks. That's just not me.


Cheers!
mouse

No comments: