Wednesday, April 25, 2007

"Jogging" Mouse

Dear Friends and Family,

I had lunch with a girlfriend on Sunday, Ms. Jordan. I was complaining to her about how hard it's been to take off the final 10 pounds. And, I was complaining about the fact that my body fat percentage is still higher than where it should be for someone of my height and weight. I told her that a colleague at work had invited me to a 5K/10K walk/run that he wanted me to compete in. It struck me as funny. I'm not fit enough to run in a competitive event! Funny. Ha. Ha.

She recommended I try an experiment. On the treadmill, walk at 3 mph for 5 five minutes to warm up and then speed up to 4.5 mph and see how long I can go for. I've never used the treadmill as a running device, only because I was never sure if I was coordinated enough to not kill myself or make a fool of myself. But, I promised her I would try. I thought I would be able to do two or three minutes before needing to dial it back down to a walk. Well, you'll be so proud of me. I was able to keep it up for 30 minutes before slowing down for my cool off period. Woot!

According to the internet, which knows everything, 4.5 mph counts as a fast walk. I think it's gotta be faster than 5 mph to qualify as a jog. And closer to 7 mph to qualify as a run. I'll try the 4.5 mph (13.3 minute mile) again see how it goes. Here's to breaking through the current plateau.


Cheers!
mouse

1 comment:

Trixie said...

good job mousie - she'll be so proud of you! no doubt walking/fast walking even is such a good cardio blast. i bet if you do it for a few weeks, you'll get right through that plateau. just don't fall off! :) xoxoxoxo