Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Korea Trip - Monday

Dear Friends and Family,

Monday was our first day in Korea. And, my grandfather wanted to take us out. I was a little hesitant given his age and the fact that it was freezing cold out. But, he was so eager and seemed to be doing so well, I agreed to have him come out with us. In the end, it all worked out okay. I could tell he was tired by the end of the day, but I think he enjoyed getting out of the house and spending time with us.

What We Saw/Did

Cheonggyecheon


New since the last time I was in Seoul. Cheonggyecheon is a river walk through downtown Seoul that used to be a two level highway. It is a delightful place for Seoul's salary men and women to take their daily constitutionals. We walked about halfway down and enjoyed crossing the water many times on the stepping stones provided.



a typical Korean market


My grandfather wanted to take us through an old school Korean market to give our neighbors a taste of local Seoul. The stalls are tiny and each store specializes in one thing only. The main customers are wholesale purchasers who come early in the morning, but they are open all day. We walked through the electronics market which will probably be gone the next time I am in Seoul as the area is zoned for redevelopment.



Jongmyo/Changgyeonggung


My grandfather took me here when I was in Seoul in 1998. So, it was a repeat trip for me. Jongmyo is the location of the ancestral shrine of one of Korea's dynasties. Attached to it is Changgyeonggung, one of the royal palaces. It's got a phoenix motif which indicates it was part of the queen's administration (dragon motif would indicate it was part of the king's administration). The cherry blossoms were beginning to bloom and the park is pretty extensive, but we were hungry and cold and eager to get inside for dinner so we walked through the main portion only.



What We Ate



My grandfather and I (and sometimes Mr. mouse) went out for breakfast every day while I was in Seoul to a neighborhood restaurant that specializes seolleongtang (a beef soup made from ox leg bones) which we had every morning. The soup is served with noodles, slices of beef and scallions with a bowl of rice and kimchee on the side. You add a combination of salt, black pepper and red pepper according to taste. I prefer it with a little salt and black pepper. My grandfather uses just salt. Mr. mouse varies it every day.

During our day's excursion, we stopped for coffee at a place called Texas. And, before entering Jongmyo we bought some street food to snack on in the "old men's park." We got fish shaped pancakes with red bean paste inside, some Korean doughnuts, and my grandfather bought "the Daughter" a bun filled with bean paste. I think he really took a liking to her.

My grandfather treated us all to lunch/dinner Monday. We went to a restaurant in downtown Seoul that he always brings Mr. mouse and me to when we visit him. He ordered beef soup for all of us. And, it was just what was needed to warm us up on a cold day.

We headed back after our meal to rest. And, met up with the neighbors for a late night meal at the restaurant next door to my grandfather's place. It was late and we were exhausted. We got the kalbi (short ribs) and the samgyeopsal (uncured bacon) and grilled it at the table. We also ordered the bibimbap for everyone to share and I got a rice dish which is essentially the burnt pieces left over when you cook rice. Some beer and tea and we were ready to call it a night.

The Family Drama

It started with an innocent question Monday morning from my grandfather. If he wanted to visit the States, would we be willing and able to take him back with us? It took me by surprise, but I was secretly hoping that maybe he was interested in moving to the States, something we've all been encouraging for awhile now. In reality, I thought it was more probable that he wanted to see my other relatives and maybe wanted a change of pace for a bit while he still had the energy.

We called home to check with my parents and they said sure, if grandpa wants to visit, you can bring him back.

What I Learned

Seoul in spring is subject to seasonal weather variations just like Chicago. I brought a couple of thin sweaters and mostly short sleeved shirts. Bad move, mouse. It was jacket weather all day Monday.

Although my grandfather enjoyed the day out, we should have attempted one attraction with him, not two. He was really tired by the time we got home and I was a little worried. He was fine the next day, but better not to push it next time.


Cheers!
mouse

No comments: