Friday, April 20, 2007

Kitchen Clutter Diet

Dear Friends and Family,

Last Sunday, I started on a project to tame our kitchen. I love the simplicity of clear, clean horizontal surfaces with nothing on them. While, given his way, Mr. mouse will fill every square inch with random stuff and then make piles to make space and then fill that space with more stuff. I've been trying to accommodate his preferences, but it's been driving me bonkers. Plus, it ticks him off. Because he feels, sometimes, that I don't do my fair share of cleaning. Well, for me, the first step in cleaning is organizing. So, if I can't do that, I never get to step 2 which is cleaning. Mr. mouse, on the other hand, will skip organizing and jump right into cleaning. Wow, I never realized this would be so complex to explain. Anyway, back to my original point.

Last Sunday, I started on a project to tame our kitchen. In my mind, the kitchen is broken down into seven zones, the island, the sink, the stove, and four counter zones to the left and right of the sink and stove. I managed to clear off four of them - the island, the sink, the stove and the counter to the left of the sink. Well, in the space of four days, the clutter has already crept back onto all four of those zones. So, I'll re-clear them today. And, I'm going to tackle two more zones - to the right of the sink and to the left of the stove. That'll leave one final zone to contemplate - the disaster to the right of the stove.

What's found it's way to the garbage or the donation box so far? 2 martini glass stem holders, random instructions on appliances we no longer own, bag of takeout utensils, a hook for a steamer we never use, a jar of old honey, a plastic tiki cup from a restaurant, a spatula shaped like an airplane, plastic coffee scoop, expired vitamin C tablets, ironing board caddy, WSJ Guide to Money & Investing, WSJ Guide to Personal Finance, batch of old tupperware, two florescent light bulbs, white truffle oil, oil container, Han's cheese spread from the mouse house.

I love the cathartic feeling that comes with throwing things out. I can't wait to tackle those two zones today.


Cheers!
mouse

PS: (10:41 am) Kitchen is clean! It still needs a super deep cleaning where I pull out the Pine Sol and attack every single crack and crevice, but I can breathe a sign of relief. It's clean! It's clean! It's clean! Unfortunately, we had a couple of casualties in the process. The following found their way into either the garbage or the donation box: a spoon rest, an old pot holder, a bagel slicer holder, a box of four wine glasses, old potato chips and tortilla chips and a can of french fried onions.

No comments: