Friday, April 13, 2007

Korea Trip - Friday

Dear Friends and Family,

Friday was our last full day in Korea. The week had gone quickly, but we had got in a lot of the local attractions and a lot of quality time with my grandfather. We split up again on Friday. Mr. mouse and the dad headed out for the full day tour of the DMZ and Panmunjom, the border town where a lot of the peace talks have been held. The mom and the daughter headed out for the half day tour of the DMZ only, since the daughter isn't old enough to qualify for the Panmunjom tour. I stayed in with my grandfather, since I had done the tour already during a previous visit.

What We Saw/Did

Friday was a nice, quiet day for me. My aunt stopped by in the morning to see my grandfather. He was resting when she came by, so we chatted for a bit before she headed out on her errands. She made rice cake soup for my grandfather and me to have for lunch before she left. She also made some fish for us to have for dinner.

The mom called once she and the daughter finished their half day tour. They came over to my grandfather's place and we sat and rested for a couple of hours until "the men folk" were done with their tour. Then, they headed back to their hotel room and we had dinner with my grandfather. Like I said, a nice, quiet day for me.

What We Ate

For breakfast, I went out for seolleongtang with my grandfather. I miss it now that I'm back to my yogurt, cereal and strawberries routine. For lunch, my grandfather and I had the rice cake soup my aunt made for us.

The mom, the daughter and I shopped the local market for lunch options when they came over after their tour. We picked up two varieties of rice cakes, some glutinous rice steamed with brown sugar, Korean pancakes, pan fried zucchini, grape tomatoes and kimbap, a Korean roll with seaweed on the outside and some vegetables on the inside.

For dinner, we had the fish my aunt made for us with my grandfather. And, the neighbors had the leftovers from our dinner out on Wednesday back at their hotel room. We headed out into the neighborhood to pick up some local fried chicken which Mr. mouse really likes to supplement the fish and the leftovers. We decided to try a place called Pelicana. We ordered two chickens, one for ourselves and one for the neighbors. We got a seasoned fried chicken and they got the fried chicken. My grandfather ate almost half the chicken. It made me ridiculously happy to see him enjoy it so much.







The Family Drama

When my aunt was over, she asked if my grandfather was really going to the Sates with us. And, I told her yes, we were taking him Saturday morning. She mentioned that she was worried about his health and that my uncle had told her to try to dissuade him. Hmm... in my parents' crazy logic my uncle and aunt secretly wanted me to bring him to the Sates... are my parents wrong or are my aunt and uncle using reverse psychology on me? This is why this stuff drives me absolutely nuts.

My dad called Friday night to speak with my grandfather. Catalyst #1: my brother asked my dad if my grandfather was coming, he had gotten a phone call from Mr. mouse saying we were bringing him. Catalyst #2: my uncle called my dad to ask if they were going to the airport together to pick up my grandfather, he had gotten a phone call from my aunt saying we were bringing him. Catalyst #3: he hadn't gotten a phone call from Mr. mouse or me saying we weren't bringing him. In typical fashion, my dad's talk with my grandfather lasted about 2 minutes and you can hear, my grandfather couldn't get a word in edge-wise. My dad essentially said, don't come out. I bought a plane ticket to Korea. I arrive Monday morning. There's no need for you to get on the plane.

My grandfather was clearly upset when he hung up. The truth finally comes out. This is about the house. He was madder than hell that my dad is coming to Korea. He wanted the chance to speak with both of my parents together. He contemplated going to the States with us, if by going he can prevent my dad from coming. I felt like I was in the midst of an arms race face off. We tried to calm him down. He went into his room, still visibly upset. I was worried for his health.

Mr. mouse and I moped for about thirty minutes and then my grandfather knocked on our door. He asked if we could call my mom for him so that he can speak with her. They spoke for almost an hour. He looked a lot better when he hung up. They talked through the house and clearly some older underlying issues. He's okay with everything now. There's no need to go and no need for my dad to come. Except, my dad bought a plane ticket and is coming out regardless.

Situation resolved. Mr. mouse and I will head back to the States sans grandpa. And, he's okay with it. Really? Couldn't they have had this conversation like thirty years ago and prevented all of this angst? Kids these days...

What I Learned

They're all equally guilty in this whole fiasco - my mom, my dad, my grandfather, my aunt, my uncle, and a second aunt and uncle. Mr. mouse and I were mere pawns in their game. I'm done with it all. I've preserved my relationship with all parties and walked away unscathed. But, no more straws on this camel's back. I'm done. They next one will cause it all to break down.


Cheers!
mouse

2 comments:

hi_im_a_cookie! said...

Yum!

That looks really nice! Can you send me the recipe sometime?

Thanks!

cookie

mouse said...

Sorry, I don't have the recipe. My aunt just makes whatever appeals to her.