Thursday, April 19, 2007

Time Heals All Wounds, or Does It?

Dear Friends and Family,

I'm Korean American. I was raised with all of the typical trials and tribulations of being Korean American. From my experience, people who chose the KOREAN american path ended up happy and people who chose korean AMERICAN path ended up happy. It's the ones who tried to bridge and meld the two cultural norms into Korean American that struggled the most. I'm one of those people.

Which of the three paths you end up depends upon a whole bunch of things that happen at an age when you're ill equipped to deal with such a big decision. Sometimes it's luck that chooses a path for you, sometimes it's the parents, sometimes it's the child, sometimes it's the community and oddly enough sometimes it's fate. I'm not saying I condone any of Seung-Hui Cho's actions. Nor am I saying I understand them. But, in a sad way, I can understand how he ended up the way he did.

Now that I'm 34, quickly going on 35, I feel much better equipped to make an informed and purposeful decision on who I am and what I want to stand for. Something to ponder. Sorry, I need to go finish up some work this morning.


Cheers!
mouse

No comments: