Wednesday, June 24, 2009

06.24.09: Weekend Catch Up and Pioneer's Development Update

Dear Friends and Family,

In catch up mode this morning now that Mr. mouse's folks are gone.

Saturday, we spent the morning at home doing the newborn thing. Then, we went out for lunch (rotisserie chicken) and spent the early afternoon letting Pioneer sleep at the restaurant. We came home to let Pioneer eat and then went for a walk to finish up the day and to let me stretch my legs.

Sunday, Mr. mouse went to the airport to pick up his Dad and Step Mom. We went out for a Father's Day brunch. We spent lunch playing pass the baby - Pioneer was in a good mood, so it was fun for all of us.

We tried to go out each day with Pioneer. Monday, we went to Millennium Park and to dinner in Chinatown. Tuesday, we went to the lake. And, today, we're going to tour daycare options by work.

Pioneer's been busy doing what babies do. Her eyelashes are coming in. She has new hair on her head that's all about an inch long and looks like a faux hawk. The hair on her forehead and arms and legs and shoulders is getting finer and fainter. She has baby acne which is fortunately beginning to clear up.

Our eating routine has gotten a lot smoother. We've got the latch thing down. She knows her green pillow. And, when I lay her on it, she calms down and lets me turn her to her side. She opens wide and looks at me with an okay, I'm ready look on her face. Latch and go. For side two, she sometimes gives a funny look like she's doing me a favor - an oh, all right, if you insist, I'll have a bite look. It's such a contrast from when we started. I still remember the disaster feed when she was three days old at Babies R Us. And, the struggles during the first two weeks when I almost gave up. What a difference a month can make.

This weekend, we've noticed a smile on her face. The books say it's gas. We're convinced it's a smile. And, last night, she began to figure out how to make some serious forward momentum. I wouldn't call it crawling. But, she's figured out how to raise her head, kick off with her feet and slide across the bed. Guess her days of unsupervised sleeping on our bed are over. She can slide her way off. In fact, last night, I got woken when she burrowed her head into my shoulder. It was cute.

And, last but not least, she's been doing it for awhile, but I never wrote about it. Sometimes, she gets a serious look on her face and raises her right arm in the air. We call it the reviewing the troops pose.

I lied. I've got one more topic to cover. The aggressive burping, holding vertical for 20 minutes after each feeding and belly sleep have made a ton of difference in Pioneer's fussiness. She's had four good days - enough to make us feel like we might be onto something. And, she's been gaining weight for the past week. Hurray!


Cheers!
mouse

No comments: