Friday, August 28, 2009

Ferberizing by Driving

Dear Friends and Family,

After almost a month of crying, Pioneer is hopefully beginning to settle into a routine with our morning commute. She would cry the entire way (I kid you not) when we began which made the commute miserable for both of us.

Yesterday, her best day so far, she cried for five minutes on the way out and four minutes on the way back. I'm still driving on eggshells waiting for the squalls, but yesterday's commute has me cautiously optimistic that we may be able to make this all work at some point.

We've also been trying what I've termed "our grand social experiment." We've been letting P sleep past her 10:30 PM feeding to see when she naturally wakes. I've noted we'd been waking her for those feedings relatively frequently. So, now, we let her sleep and see when she wakes. Yesterday, it was 3:30 AM. Today, it was 2:15 AM. I'm fine with both of those and here's why.

I'm trying to engineer a way out of my 3:30 PM pumping session. It's by far the toughest one for me to make at work. My theory is, if I can replace my 3:30 PM session with a 10:30 PM session, then I can go about my day that much smoother. So, the real question for me is trade-off between a 3:30 PM pumping session and a 2:00 AM feeding session. And, the answer is yes, if I can make it work.

How do I define make it work? I'll continue with the 3:30 PM pumping session until I know I can balance supply and demand. Then, I'll slowly decrease the time of the 3:30 PM session until I can remove it. My initial thoughts is to go down in 3 minute increments: 12 minutes (now), to 9 to 6 to 3 to 0. That way I (hopefully) lower the risk of a plugged duct which (hopefully) lowers the risk of an infection.

As far as balancing supply and demand goes, I'm doing a couple of things. I'm increasing my other two sessions from 12 minutes to 15 minutes. I'm adding a 9:30 PM session (10 minutes so far, will increase to 15 minutes sometime next week - this is in lieu of the 10:30 PM feeding which gets me more sleep). And, I may add a 7:00 PM session as a last resort. If it all works out, great. If not, we go back to waking her at 10:30 PM and call it a night.


Cheers!
mouse

No comments: