Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Boston Gal's Open Wallet

Dear Friends and Family,

I haven't had the time to write about this is awhile. In October, the NY Times ran an article titled What Do Women Want? Just Ask. Like I said, I'm behind.

There is a blog (bostongalsopenwallet.blogspot.com) where a woman tracks all of her financial information online.

Her first blog entry?

Speaking publicly about your personal finances has always been a no-no in my family. The result of this is that I often felt unprepared and uneducated about financial matters. I am now in my mid-30's, single, with a fairly well established professional career. Because I live alone, I make all the financial decisions in my life -- good or bad. If your parents and peers can't or won't show you the way, hopefully sites like this on the Web will.

I read it every couple of days and find it fascinating that someone else is struggling with the same questions I struggle with. Women need to get their heads smart about money. For the same job, we get paid less than men. Frequently, we opt for a "less than same" job to balance work and life or because that's where our passions are. We compound all that by generally living longer. And, it's a recipe for disaster if we're not smart about our money.

I'm excited about planning out our windfall from the house sale. Need to do more research before we make a decision.


Cheers!
mouse

No comments: