Tuesday, July 29, 2008

07.29.08: Weekly Weigh In

Dear Friends and Family,

weigh in: 121

Whoopee! Back to 121. And, again looking at three pounds to goal. This time, more motivated than even three weeks ago when I was 121. Tee, a friend in Seattle, wrote me to tell me she was considering Weight Watchers after seeing the success I had with it. And, I realized/remembered I have had success with it. It does work. I was so dedicated. And, there's no reason that dedication should be any less now than it was, say, six months ago.

And, even more motivating, Tee is interested in going to Canyon Ranch with me. I can't wait.

Which brings me to an interesting conversation Tee and I had about Mindless Eating. I read a book about it that was excellent. I'll use the next 10 weeks or so to summarize it, bit by bit.

Mindless Eating, Why We Eat More Than We Think
by Brian Wansink

Introduction: The Science of Snacking

We may think we eat based on our level of hunger, how much we like the food, and how we feel. But, in addition to that, we eat based on a host of other criteria (e.g. "family and friends, packages and plates, names and numbers, labels and lights, colors and candles, shapes and smells, distractions and distances, cupboards and containers.") In other words, we may not have a clue as to why we eat.

Want to guess how many food decisions we make in a day? If you guessed more than 200, you'd be right. I'm awake 18 hours, meaning, on average, I make a food decision every 5.4 minutes. Really? Seems like a lot. And, it's tempting to say I must be below average and someone other poor soul is out there making a decision every 2 minutes to make up for my numbers. But, I'm okay with 200. It's manageable. Not sure I can make 200 good decisions, but, clearly, I'm making enough good decisions to be within three pounds of my goal weight.

And, that's the intro and my take on it.


Cheers!
mouse

1 comment:

Trixie said...

good deal - glad you're recapping the book. and it IS important to remember how successful you've been - you are AMAZING sister! xoxoxo