Thursday, July 31, 2008

Audience Pandering vs. Artistic Irrelevancy

Dear Friends and Family,

Google Analytics is a horrible thing. It weighs you down with data. And, once you have the data you need to come to grips with yourself. Do you write about what people care to read about? Or do you write about what you want to write about? If it's the former, isn't it just pandering to an audience? Lurking on lurkers, so to speak? Two mirrors facing off to create infinitely smaller copies of each other? And, if it's the latter, then, why do you care? You're writing just for you. But, why publish, then?

So, it comes down to this question. Who do I write for? Do I write for the unknown masses? Do I write for my friends and family (obstensibly who my posts are addressed to each and every day)? Or, ultimately, do I write for me (it is a journal after all)?

Not sure if I know the answers. Perhaps if I did, I could purposely choose a path and filter my content accordingly. Sushi come when sushi ready.


Cheers!
mouse

1 comment:

Trixie said...

whoa - put the analytics down and slowly back away! ;) my blog is just a blog - an efficient and accessible place for me to write, express myself, and keep in touch with friends. i don't think about WHAT i'm writing (in terms of what people want to read, that is) and i'm not sure that's why people come to visit. in fact, i make myself not-so-searchable in order to limit that kind of uncertainly. but that's just me...oh and i only put the analytics on the front page!! xoxoxox