Thursday, July 17, 2008

Parents Retiring, Maybe

Dear Friends and Family,

I thought my parents were retiring at the end of July. They've had a dry cleaning store for the past twenty years and the rents have been rising in their neighborhood. Their building was sold a couple of years to a large corporation, and when the lease expired, the corporation renewed it at a decent rate, but with some harsh terms. They can't sell the lease. And, with six months notice the corporation can cancel the lease.

We thought that day was in July. As it turns out, it's not. I'm not clear on how long it's been extended for. It may be that the downturn in the economy has changed things up some. On the one hand, I feel a sense of relief because I don't think my mom was ready to retire; she was doing it because she had no other options. On the other hand, I hope it's not too much of an emotional roller coaster for her.

Sometimes I wish I was more entrepreneurial, but other times I'm glad I work in cubicle land and don't have to worry about some of the things she has to worry about.


Cheers!
mouse

No comments: