Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Mandoo (aka Korean Dumplings)

Dear Friends and Family,

We all have one... the ultimate childhood comfort food.

For me, that's a no-brainer. I love mandoo. They're Korean dumplings. They can be boiled, fried or steamed. My favorite is when you boil them first then lightly pan fry them. I remember making them with my mom and grandma when they both had the time and energy. Now, sadly, we buy pre-made in the frozen food section of the local Asian grocery store.

There's a bewildering array of choices. And, everyone has their preference. Mine is CJ Vegetable and Meat Dumplings. They have noodles inside of them and are a fair to good approximation of the recipe my mom used. Here's a picture of the bag, in case you want to hunt them down.


Mandoo
They keep forever in the freezer. My recent modus operandi has been to have them for dinner on those nights when nothing else appeals to me. I've been having them boiled to save on points. They're an easy to calculate 1 point per dumpling on Weight Watchers. And, I have them with soy sauce mixed with rice vinegar on the side.

Mr. mouse came over last night to pack for our upcoming weekend and to help cheer me up. I didn't sleep well Sunday night or Monday night, so by yesterday I was a wreck. It was good to see him on a week night.

Service interruption alert: I'm headed out tonight to meet a friend for dinner. He's visiting the mouse pad from Michigan where we worked together. So, I probably won't have a chance to write again until Thursday evening/Friday morning, if anyone is checking on a regular basis.


Cheers!
mouse

PS: Had a chance to update last week's post with pictures from the restaurant. Enjoy!

1 comment:

Trixie said...

yum, yum, double yum. now I want those dumplings too...and the ones from last week. argh - cereal will have to do for now! :)