Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Chicken Tinga Tacos

Dear Friends and Family,

Chicken Tinga Taco
I tried a new recipe last week that came out pretty good. I was in the mood for something spicy, my cold-deadened taste buds needed it badly... (photo from flickr, not motivated enough to take my own)

Chicken Tinga Tacos

2 tbs peanut oil
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 large tomato, peeled, seeded, diced
2 chipotle peppers, finely chopped
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp nutmeg
12 oz shredded cooked chicken (about 3 cups)
salt and pepper to taste

garnishes
cilantro
finely chopped onion
lime

I modified the cooking approach some. And, based on my first attempt, I would modify it more.
  1. pre-heat oven to 275°
  2. in a medium skillet, heat the oil (I'd use 1 tbs oil in the future, it's plenty)
  3. add onion and garlic and cook over medium heat until softened, 3-5 minutes
  4. add tomato, chipotles, cumin and nutmeg and cook, stirring, ~3 minutes
  5. mouse modification #2: in the future, I would take this mixture and take it off the heat, blend it smooth, and add about 1/4 cup water or chicken stock
  6. add the chicken, cover, seal cover to pan with foil, braise in oven for ~30-45 minutes (Mr. mouse and I have become big fans of braising)
  7. season with salt and pepper
Makes 8 tacos, serves 4.

To serve, plate the tacos and put together an assortment of garnishes. I like cilantro, raw onion and lime. Other ideas are salsa, guacamole and sour cream. I used corn tortillas. Feel free to improvise with wheat tortillas and/or taco shells.

Weight Watchers point information:
  • 3 oz chicken prepared, 6 points
  • 2 medium corn tortillas, 2 points
  • future point savings: 1 point for reducing the oil
  • future point savings: 1 point for all light meat - I used a whole chicken this time
Enjoy :)



***MOUSE HOUSE NEWS FLASH***
As of yesterday, the mouse house is officially on the market.


Cheers!
mouse

1 comment:

Trixie said...

great news on the house - congrats!! hopefully it will go quickly and you can get on with it.

ps- any new pics of the bargain hunter's spoils? after all that eBaying and such!? we're excited for a preview!