Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Don Don

Dear Friends and Family,

Don Don, Fine Korean Cuisine. All I have to say is... Really, is this the best name you could come up with after a night of soju and hard thinking? Sigh. We went last week after my gym workout. But, I'm jut catching up on writing this blog post.

Don Don specializes in a couple of pork dishes and offers the standard portfolio of Korean restaurant dishes. Their specialties include pork sausages, pressed pork and a hot stew called gam ja tang - which translates into potato stew, but don't be fooled, it's chock full of pork neck pieces, hence it's tie in with the restaurant theme.

Mr. mouse ordered the gam ja tang, which he really like. It's a lot of work to eat, so if you don't have the patience to pick meat bits out of neck parts with chopsticks, this is not the dish for you. However, if you love odd cuts of meat in spicy native broth, this will be right up your alley. I tried a sip of the broth, and it was very porky and spicy at the same time, a little addictive in it's taste, I don't think I personally like the soup enough to eat a bowl of it. Mr. mouse does.

I ordered the bibimbap - a standard Korean dish of mixed vegetables and rice served in a wicked hot stone bowl. It was good, but standard. The rice had a nice crispiness from the hot stone bowl and the marinated mushrooms were excellent, but the dish overall was average.

I'd go again to keep Mr. mouse company the next time he has a gam ja tang craving, but I'll probably try one of their specialties next.

Overall rating: 7/10

Don Don
1177 North Elmhurst Road
Des Plaines, IL 60016
(847) 981-5220


Cheers!
mouse

No comments: