Sunday, January 07, 2007

No Mai Gai

Dear Friends and Family,

No this isn't another restaurant review. In fact, I'm sure none of you will find this funny, but, personally, I find it absolutely hilarious, so I'm writing about it.

When I was writing yesterday's post on lunch, I used a
wikipedia article to help me with the spelling of all of the dim sum dishes. Well, there's a dish we usually get called no mai gai which is glutinous rice wrapped in a lotus leaf and then steamed. The rice is filled with bits of chicken, sausage, shrimp and other goodies. So, I always knew the dish as rice wrapped in lotus leaf, never by it's real name. Now, there's no forgetting.

Rewind like 12 years to when Mr. mouse and I started dating. We used the term gai (chinese for chicken) and the english term guy interchangeably. Don't ask me how we started because the roots of that joke are lost in the annals of our long history. Well, those of you who know us know we have an army of plush friends. They are all generically known as gais. What happens when you pick up a gai you think is your own and then you realize it isn't. You put it back down and you say "no mai/my gai"... get it?!?! Of course not, but, for us, it's roll on the floor laughing.

Now you know what kind of stuff keeps us entertained. Full weekend write-up coming tomorrow, as usual.


Cheers!
mouse

No comments: