Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Happy Anniversary, Mr. mouse

Dear Friends and Family,

It's our anniversary today. And, unlike the past four years, when we had to celebrate the weekend prior, we're together for this one. It's good to be together again.

Looking back to June of 2002, when I made the fateful decision to move to Minnesota, we had no idea what we were signing ourselves up for. It was supposed to be a one year deal before we moved back together. I would use six months to assess my new job and living in a new place. And, after that, we'd make the move to be together again by the time we hit the one year point. Well, we all know that didn't happen. Six months stretched into a year which quickly grew into two years and then three and then four.

It was tough doing the weekend thing for as long as we did. I think the toughest part was not knowing if, or when, we would be together again. I mean, what if we did it at infinitum? Would I have been happy at fifty or sixty looking back on my life choices? And, the other hard part was I had found happiness in Minnesota. Long distance was hard, and work was trying, but I had found a community, and friends, and a home, and convenience, and safety, and peace. So, it wasn't easy to make the decision to upend all that and take on a new adventure.

Living with Mr. mouse again is great. But, with the benefit of hindsight, I wouldn't trade the last four years for anything. Our relationship is the better for it.


Cheers!
mouse

1 comment:

Trixie said...

Congrats Mouse family - your success at making marriage hum is to be celebrated and commended. You've managed to protect your marriage while growing and changing and that IS the model to emulate...no matter how weird it looked from time to time! :) I love you guys and am glad to call you friends. xoxoxo