Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Cicadas are Here

Dear Friends and Family,

The cicadas are here. I haven't seen any by our house, but I saw several yesterday when I went out for some focus groups. There were about a half dozen dead cicadas on my walk from the train station to the office park. And, I thought about writing about them. Fascinating.

We finished the focus groups by 4:30 and I was totally jazzed about being home ~5:30. It was sunny out and I was feeling great. I was waiting for the train and talking on the phone when I noticed a giant cicada on my shoe. Gross! I tried swiping it off with my other shoe. (I didn't want to step on it cause it would be all over my shoe...) It would budge. So, then I started kicking my foot around, hoping to dis-lodge the cicada, when my shoe flew off, into the tracks!



There's my shoe, on the track. I rang for customer assistance while mentally toying with jumping down myself to get my shoe weighted against just walking home with one shoe on. A track person showed up and told me he'd be able to get my shoe, it'd just take a little bit. Twenty minutes later he retrieved my shoe and I was able to head home. Glad I was able to provide as much entertainment as I did for the rest of yesterday's commuters. They totally got a kick out of the whole thing.

I'm can't wait for them to leave. Gross.


Cheers!
mouse

2 comments:

Trixie said...

ok mouse - that is some funny $hit right there. I don't know how you manage to get yourself into some of these fixes! Between this and sleeping past your stop yesterday, I'd pretty much be ready to phone it in... :)

ekao said...

The best part was the you took photos of your orphaned shoe. I guess when you have 20 minutes to hop on one foot, you get pretty creative.